Australia’s upcoming World Cup qualifiers on the journey to Qatar 2022 will be broadcast live on Network Ten, with streaming network Paramount+ providing confirmation on Monday.
The Socceroos are scheduled to play against China (September 2) and Vietnam (September 7), but there had been no news on whether Paramount+ would be broadcasting the matches.
PARAMOUNT PLUS: Cost, Australian football rights, streaming details and other content
In a tweet posted from their official account, Paramount+ revealed they would definitely be showing the games in Australia and Sporting News understands the China and Vietnam contests will at least be shown on free-to-air via the Network Ten, with both services owned by parent company Viacom-CBS.
You bet! We’ll be streaming all the action of the Socceroos here on Paramount+
— Paramount+ Australia (@ParamountPlusAU) August 23, 2021
However it remains to be seen whether the September matches will be shown in any capacity on the Paramount+ platform or app, with no sport content provided by the service as of yet.
Paramount+ – which launched in Australia on August 11 – acquired the rights to most Australian domestic football and national team matches off long-time broadcaster Fox Sports in May.
In addition to showing Socceroos and Matildas matches, Paramount+ will also telecast domestic competitions such as the A-League, W-League and FFA Cup, while both club and international Asian Football Confederation tournaments and games will be part of their program.
With the A-League not set to begin until October, the Socceroos’ September World Cup qualifiers will likely be the first opportunity for Paramount+ to display their acquired Australian football rights on their platform.
Network Ten has been designated as the free-to-air broadcaster for content in the rights deal including Socceroos and A-League, but details of their coverage is also scarce.
The Socceroos are set to play their first ‘home’ World Cup qualifier in Qatar after being forced to play their opening on neutral soil because current COVID-19 restrictions wouldn’t allow the green-and-gold and their opponents to enter Australia without quarantining upon arrival.
What Australian football content will be on Paramount+?
Paramount+’s full catalogue so far:
- Matildas Friendly Internationals (home and away)
- Socceroos Friendly Internationals (home and away)
- U23 Men’s Friendly Internationals (home)
- Socceroos’ 2026 FIFA World Cup Asian Qualifier Round 2 matches (home)
- Other Football Australia controlled Youth National Teams matches (home)
- FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Asian Qualifiers – Round Three (including prospective Play-Off matches)
- AFC Asian Cup China 2023 Finals
- AFC Women’s Asian Cup India 2022 Finals
- AFC U23 Asian Cup Finals 2022, 2024
- AFC Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament (Final Round) for Paris Olympics 2024
- AFC U20 Asian Cup Finals 2023
- AFC U17 Asian Cup Finals 2023
- AFC U20 Women’s Asian Cup Finals 2022 and 2024
- AFC U17 Women’s Asian Cup Finals 2022 and 2024
- AFC Futsal Asian Cup Finals 2022, 2024
- AFC Solidarity Cup 2024
- A-League Club Play-Off matches to enter FFA Cup Round of 32
- All FFA Cup matches played from Round of 32 onwards, including the Round of 16, Quarter Finals, Semi-Finals and the FFA Cup Final
- All non-Australian matches across AFC competitions, including Round 3 FIFA World Cup Qualifying matches and AFC Asian Cup matches