Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, October 12) – World Boxing Council bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire entered another chapter in his storied career by joining a newly launched boxing stable.
Probellum Promotions announced on Tuesday the signing of the 38-year-old boxing sensation, as he joins seven rising boxing stars in the stable headed by former Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer.
“Nonito is one of the greatest fighters in boxing. A future Hall of Famer and four-division and nine-time world champion. But it’s not just his talent in the ring but his personality, charisma, and values outside of the ring which make him the champion and role model he is,” Schaefer said.
Donaire said the former Golden Boy executive’s “knowledge, experience, and compassion” to fighters led him to sign with Probellum, which was formally launched last month.
“Richard Schaefer has always been a ‘fighters first’ promoter. I am convinced that with his vision, leadership skills and passion for the fighters, he will elevate the sport and most importantly continue to empower fighters,” said Donaire.
Donaire sports a win-loss record of 41-6, along with 27 knockouts as he holds the distinction of being the oldest boxer to win a major bantamweight world title.
He clinched the WBC bantamweight title last May 30 after a sensational fourth-round knockout victory over French foe Nordine Oubaali.
Probellum will announce the next fight of Donaire in the coming days.