Eddie Hearn wants Tyson Fury stripped of world title if Deontay Wilder clash delayed | RopSport
Boxing News

Eddie Hearn wants Tyson Fury stripped of world title if Deontay Wilder clash delayed

[ad_1]

Hearn isn’t confident that Fury’s bout with Wilder, set for just over a month’s time, will go ahead as scheduled, and believes that if it doesn’t he should be stripped of his belt

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Tyson Fury sends message to ‘bully’ Deontay Wilder

Matchroom Boxing boss Eddie Hearn has demanded that the World Boxing Council strip Tyson Fury of his world heavyweight title if he doesn’t fight Deontay Wilder next month.

The top promoter, who oversees the careers of Fury’s rivals Anthony Joshua and Dillian Whyte, has doubts over whether the scheduled October 9 fight date between Fury and Wilder will take place.

Fury was set to fight Wilder on July 24, but had to pull out of the bout due to contracting coronavirus after an outbreak in his camp that also saw trainer Andy Lee pick up the virus.

And Hearn has said that while he wants the bout to take place so that Joshua can fight the winner for the undisputed belt, he is unsure if it will.

“I want it to happen 100 per cent,” Hearn said. “I want a winner of that finally sorted so we can try again to make Anthony Joshua’s undisputed fight.







Eddie Hearn and Tyson Fury have a chequered history



“But if it doesn’t happen then the WBC have to finally put Fury into recess.

“Fury has not boxed since February 2020 and if he doesn’t box in October then it will be almost two years since that title was defended.

“I think he needs to fight because otherwise he needs to be stripped of the title or made champion-in-recess.”

While fans are clamouring for a bout between Fury and Joshua, Hearn has to also consider the future of his charge Whyte, who has been the number one contender for the Manchester-native’s belt for years.




Whyte briefly lost his status as the mandatory challenger to Alexander Povetkin last year, but has since won a rematch with the Russian and reclaimed the governing body’s interim title.

Fury’s last outing was the rematch with Wilder in February of last year, and no other top heavyweight has spent as long out of the ring as he and the American.

“Dillian Whyte has been sitting there as interim champion, desperate and deserving of a shot.

“I appreciate the two-year absence is down to the pandemic and the problems but, when it gets to two years and everyone else has managed to fight, something has got to happen.”

Fury and Joshua had agreed to fight on August 14 in Saudi Arabia, but that was nixed when an arbitration ruling ordered a trilogy between he and Wilder for this summer.





And Joshua is now set to take on pound-for-pound great and former undisputed cruiserweight champion Oleksandr Usyk in London later this month.

Should Joshua beat Usyk, he is expected to face the winner of Fury’s fight, which both sides insist will go ahead despite minimal promotion to date for the newly announced fight night.

The event is scheduled to take place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, with an undercard consisting of heavyweight action including a rematch between Robert Helenius and Adam Kownacki.

Fury’s training partner Efe Ajagba will also face Frank Sanchez while the unbeaten pair of Jared Anderson and Vladimir Tereshkin also compete.

Dillian Whyte is due back in the ring on October 30 at the O2 Arena in London, with an opponent to be confirmed.



[ad_2]

Source Linkwww.mirror.co.uk